Breaking News
Loading...
Sunday, December 16, 2012

Garam Masala Fruit Cake For The Holidays

12:31 AM
It feels so good to be back after such a loooooooong (enforced) break! I really missed the "buzz" and fun of bloggoworld but most of all I really really missed the daily interactions with all my friends. My last post was at the beginning of November and after that.......my laptop crashed :( The poor thing was really abused over the years and pouring a jug full of water on it by my two year old was the last straw which really did it in....I guess she was not happy with me spending so much time on my laptop! Then what with Diwali, holidays and a wedding in the family, the whole month just breezed past. So with the advent of December I decided to look for options and........ ended up buying an iPad instead of a laptop! Again a week or so went by just to figure out how to use this thing for my blogging. Finally I think I have got a hang of it....although my two year old seems to be more adept at using it..oh well I think the new generation gets a crash course in latest technologies before being sent to earth, that's the only rational reason I can think of after seeing their technosavyness!


Coming back to this cake, it was made for my baking course and the recipe was also provided by the institute. The garam masala adds deep winter flavours to your cake that mingles beautifully with your fruits. It's a standard recipe for making a 1kg, 8 inch fruit cake. The dry fruits were evenly chopped and soaked in alcohol a month or so in advance and the cake was baked and again soaked in brandy and rum for a day or two before we started "decorating" it with all the Christmassy themed things.



Here's all the things ready and waiting to go on top of the cake.


Here are some of my faves made by my baking buddies.









All the figures, charms and leaves are done in fondant and...ahem..I was inspired, read "copied heavily", from Pinterest for the final look of my cake.

Garam Masala Fruit Cake
Ingredients:
120g all purpose flour
120g brown sugar
120g butter, room temperature
3 eggs
200g mixed dry fruits, chopped evenly and soaked in alcohol for 15 days or so
1/8 teaspoon baking powder
1/8 teaspoon baking soda
1/8 teaspoon vanilla essence
1/8teaspoon orange essence
1/8teaspoon almond essence
1/8teaspoon nutmeg/cinnamon powder
1/8teaspoon garam masala powder
1 tablespoon caramel(I used store bought)
40ml milk

Method:
Preheat the oven to 150 degree Celsius. Grease and Line the base of an 8 inch round cake tin and set aside.
Sieve the all purpose flour with the baking powder and baking soda and the spices and add the dry fruits to this mix.
Cream the butter until light and fluffy, gradually add the brown sugar and keep on mixing till the mixture is light in texture. Add in the eggs, one at a time and keep beating after each addition.
Add the vanilla, orange and almond essence and beat well. Fold in the flour mix and add the milk to adjust the consistency of the batter. Add in the caramel and pour the batter into the prepared cake tin. Bake at 150 degree Celsius for 1 hour. When done, let the cake cool in the tin and allow to stand and mature in a cool dark place for a day or two. The longer it stands, the better the flavours.







0 comments:

Post a Comment

 
Toggle Footer